How do I get rid of the Yahoo browser?

Saturday, September 27, 2008

Q. I have SBC DSL service but prefer Internet Explorer to their Yahoo browser. Recently an update was available for the SBC Yahoo browser so I downloaded it and tried the updated version but still did not like it. I went through all the steps I know to make IE my default browser but whenever I get, for example, an e-mail with a link and if I click on the link, up pops the Yahoo browser. It just won’t go away. How can I bury this browser without interfering with the DSL service?
A. I find these "helpful" little things that various vendors add to their service to be quite a nuisance. I remember in the mid-90's when Compaq and Packard Bell computers came bundled with a menuing software that sat on top of the Windows interface. What a nightmare! It was designed to make the computing experience easier and more user friendly. All it did was add a level of confusion to the process of operating a computer, especially when it failed.
The Yahoo browser is not as bad, thank goodness. Southwestern Bell offers an uninstall option for their applications. Simply go to the Add/Remove programs section of your Control Panel and locate the SBC Applications entry and select Change/Remove. Select the applications you want to be rid of and click Uninstall.
Once you have completed this, you're free to use Internet Explorer and you could even consider experimenting with Firefox.
Removing the Yahoo Web Browser will not affect your ability to connect to SBC.
Source: http://blogs.chron.com/helpline/archives/2005/10/how_do_i_get_ri.html




Bookmark this post:
Ma.gnolia DiggIt! Del.icio.us Blinklist Yahoo Furl Technorati Simpy Spurl Reddit Google



Labels: